So your next conference or trade show is coming up in a few weeks. You’ve registered, blocked off your calendar and scoped out the best sushi places near the convention center. Attending the event will be useful, sure, but have you done everything you can to maximize the opportunity to gain leads?
We want you to leave this conference thinking, “That was so worth it.” So here are some practical tips for before, during, and after the conference that will help you feel like you got everything you wanted:
Before the conference:
- Set goals for the conference. There are so many people, so much information, and so little time. So what’s your top priority? Set an intention and a few measurable goals to help you stay focused on what’s important.
- Join the event’s social media page. This is an opportunity to learn new faces and names before the conference begins. See if you can find behind-the-scenes information or helpful tips.
- Set up meetings. Who do you want to see at the conference? Send them a quick message saying you’d love to catch up, and figure out a date and time.
- Pack your swag! Bring business cards, leave-behinds, and branded apparel. When your connections are interested in learning more, you’ll be prepared.
- Attend the pre-conference event. This dinner or introductory session is your chance to make early connections. Throughout the conference, you’ll be able to spot their familiar faces.
- Make a plan. Map out which sessions you want to attend that align with your goals.
- Put yourself out there. Wear your branded apparel. Initiate conversations. Get pictures with the speakers. Hand out your business cards. It might feel uncomfortable at first, but it’ll be worth it.
- Follow up on social media. Connect with the people you met on LinkedIn. Send a quick “nice to meet you” message. “Follow” and “like” your favorite speakers.
- Post about the event. Your followers will see that you’re committed to staying current in your field. People may be interested in hearing your thoughts!
- Apply what you learned. Review your notes and see what you can implement today.
After all this, you’ll likely need time to process everything you learned. And maybe a nap. We recommend both.
If you’re interested in more ways you can level up your business marketing, let’s chat. Grab a spot on our calendar.
Need more on this topic? Listen to our Scale With Strategy: How to Leverage Trade Shows and Conferences for Leads LinkedIn Live episode on our YouTube channel.