From nights under those city lights to classic drive-ins to First Fridays and weekends at the lake, at Novella, we’re pretty sure summers are the best season to be in Kansas City.
Here are some of our Summer Bucket List items to cross off before the season ends.
Rooftop Drinks in Kansas City
We love a good view, and there are plenty in KC. Some of our swankiest hotels boast the best rooftop bars, but there are also a few good spots for a round of cornhole.
- The Fontaine Hotel
- The Well in Waldo
- Parlor KC
- Crossroads Hotel
- Messenger Coffee
For a full roundup, read this: Rooftop Hangs in Kansas City
Outdoor Game Patios: UpDown, The Well, The Library Downtown’s human-sized rooftop chessboard.
Entertainment Under the Stars
We are a city of arts and fountains, and the arts scene overfloweth in the summer with the classic Shakespeare in the Park next to the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, evenings al fresco with live music, and nights under the silver screen at the drive-in.
- Shakespeare in the Park (June 11-July 7)
- A night at the Boulevard Drive-In or Twin Drive-In
- Free outdoor movies on the rooftop of the downtown library
- Outdoor movies and music at Crown Center
- Sunset Music Fest
- Musicals or concerts at Starlight Theater
- Live music at KC Crossroads
Art for the Masses
These events are summer classics for any art afficianado. The Plaza Art Fair is an acclaimed art show all outdoors at the end of the summer. First Fridays are an easy go-to art excursion (we recommend the Bauer galleries). Make time to stroll through the Nelson-Atkins sculpture garden—an often overlooked area of the Nelson—with a Quay coffee in hand (available in the Bloch Gallery). Mark your calendars for Art Westport. It doesn’t have the pomp and circumstance of other area art shows and features a lot of makers with affordable art.
- First Fridays in the Crossroads!
- Nelson Atkins sculpture garden + glass labyrinth
- Art Westport (Sept 6-8)
- Plaza Art Fair (Sept 20-22)
Is it summer without a proper festival? Bring a lawnchair for the biggest summer event of the season: Riverfest. A Fourth of July celebration on the riverfront. Soak up the magic at the Powell Gardens Festival of Butterflies or the Kansas City Water Lantern Festival. Explore new cultures through the Ethnic Enrichment Festival or KC’s biggest party—KC Irish Fest.
- KC Riverfest (July 4)
- Butterfly Festival at Powell Gardens (July 27)
- KC Water Lantern Festival (July 27)
- Ethnic Enrichment Festival (August 16-18)
- KC Irish Fest (August 30)
The Perfect Saturday
Lazy summer Saturdays are a must for Kansas City. Although, we love a good picnic any day. An office favorite is the Brookside Farmers Market or the City Market in the River Market for fresh produce, music, and flowers.
- Farmers Market (Brookside or City Market)
- Picnics in Swope Park
- Trying the newest restaurant and patio
- Evenings on the front porch
The Great Outdoors
If you’ve been around our office on a Thursday or Friday, we’re probably getting giddy about our weekend at the lake. There are so many around here! But, if you don’t have time for a lake trip, Parkville Mini Golf and Parkville Nature Sanctuary are great for a family fun day. When we’re missing the beach, we hit the sand courts around town for some volleyball.
- Lake time is the best time!
- Parkville Nature Sanctuary
- Parkville Mini Golf
- Biking the Trolley Trail
- Sand Volleyball
Enjoy your summer!!
The Novella Team